Leeming Report A – 13 Nov 16 16/16

This Rep A was created in Word by Brian Canfer from an original pdf.


Report A Serial No:LEE 16/16
Date of Incident:13 Nov 16
Referring to Form R:N/A
Military Callouts: 02Total Military Persons Assisted this Year: 6
Civilian Callouts: 14Total Civilian Persons Assisted this Year: 17
Nature of Incident:Fallen Hill Walker
Incident Area:Blencathra, Lake District
On Scene:131420NOV16

Off Task:132200NOV16
Personnel on Task: 14Current Team Strength: 21
Total Man Hours:112
Total Vehicle Miles:C3: Nil
Ops Vehicles: 60
Load Carrier: Nil
Other agencies involved:Keswick MRT, Penrith MRT, HMCG, Great North Air Ambulance


The Team was returning from having attended the Fell and Rock Climbing Club’s Remembrance Service on the summit of Great Gable, laying an MRS wreath.

The Team was tasked at 1400hrs on 13 Nov 16 to assist Keswick MRT with a call-out to a man who was seriously injured after falling 50m from Sharp Edge on Blencathra in the Lake District. 14 Team members joined the Keswick and Penrith MRTs on the rescue. More than 40 rescuers battled in bad weather to bring the 44YO man down to the awaiting Air Ambulance in an operation lasting more than seven hours. The grade one scramble is a well-known black spot and the man had fallen down the gully on the north side of the ridge.

His two companions had managed to reach him with the assistance of a passer-by, and found he was badly injured. Both the Coastguard helicopter (R999) and the Great North Air Ambulance (Helimed 58) responded and were on scene. The weather was a significant problem, with low cloud and drizzle. Despite this, the paramedic from the Great North Air Ambulance had managed to reach the casualty, who had head, neck and chest injuries. Team members rigged the route to ensure the safety of those in the gully, and assisted in the evacuation of the casualty’s companions.

The companions were walked down to safety by members of Keswick MRT. R999 lifted parties of MRT up the hill, and stood by at the bottom until the casualty had been loaded on to the stretcher, and lowered the further 50m down to the scree at the foot of the gully.

The rescue was technical and difficult and the conditions deteriorated considerably during the rescue to the extent that R999 was unable to evacuate the patient from the scene. R999 went to Carlisle for fuel, but once it returned, visibility was no better, and the aircraft was stood down. Therefore, the combined 47-strong MRTs were forced to extract the casualty by stretcher carry down to the foot of Mousthwaite Comb, where he was loaded aboard Helimed 58, and subsequently flown to the Cumberland Infirmary.  The team returned to the Ladyholme Village Hall, Windermere around midnight and returned to RAF Leeming at 1215hrs on 14 Nov.

I Marr

Leave a Reply